Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
MS is a condition where your immune system attacks the covering that protects your nerves. This causes nerve damage, making it hard for your brain to talk to the rest of your body.
Symptoms may include:
- Visual disturbances
- Muscle weakness
- Trouble with coordination and balance
- Sensations such as numbness, prickling, or “pins and needles”
- Thinking and memory problems
The exact cause of MS is unknown. Many scientists believe that several different factors (e.g., environmental, genetics) are involved when the body’s immune system attacks its own tissues.
There is no cure for MS. But there are medications available to help manage and treat MS:
- Disease modifying drugs help slow and limit the progression of MS and many disabilities related to it. They can also lower the number of relapses.
- Certain types of steroids help reduce swelling and stop relapses or flare-ups.
- Additionally, there are medications to help manage symptoms such as muscle tightness/spasms or trouble going to the bathroom.
MS medications can be injected under your skin or into your muscle, infused into a vein, or taken by mouth.
We understand your support system is important to you and we’re here to help. You can call us anytime at 1-844-265-1760. You can also use the tools below:
- Optum Connections virtual visits — Get face-to-face with your care team in a real-time video chat with an Optum® Specialty Pharmacy clinician who is an expert in MS.
- Optum Connections video series — Feel more connected to others with the same condition and learn more about your treatment by watching videos from other Optum Specialty Pharmacy patients with MS.